26 August 2011

Girls + Zines

I recently submitted a zine to the "Girls + Zines" exhibition curated by the lovely Barbara Ryan. This was an exhibition aimed at the art of creating hand-made zines and making sure that this age old tradition does not wither in this modern day.

The exhibition dates [courtesy of Tatty Devine] have been extended until the 3rd Sept - for more event info please click here.

I popped into Tatty Devine [down Brick Lane] briefly on my lunch break; the collection of zines were so varied in style and content. They were all amazing - I wish I had had more time to browse every one! If you're ever in the area, go and take a look! I managed to take some snaps on my phone - please excuse the poor quality...



How to wow a woman - really liked this zine, but don't know who created it! If you made this zine, let me know and I will credit it :)

What not to say on a lesbian date - Elisabeth Lee



The zine I made was a concertina based on one of my favourite childhood television shows Jonathan Creek [played by Alan Davies]. Jonathan Creek was a typical British television series in the 90s, based on a magician's assistant [named Jonathan Creek] who has a knack for solving impossible crimes with his feisty crime reporter sidekick Madeline Magellan [played by Caroline Quentin]. The zine has illustrations of moments from the TV series, with lines of text to accompany. Images from my zine can be found in a previous blog post.

My Jonathan Creek zine was recently mentioned in a delightful blog post about Girls + Zines by Oh Comely magazine. You can read the review here.









1 comment:

  1. So happy you liked my zine 'how to wow a woman' :)
    I remember yours, loved it!!

    Mina
    x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!